Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:02:53 +0100, the renowned John Woodgate
wrote:

I read in sci.electronics.design that Peter A Forbes
wrote (in
) about 'Plug and socket
suggestion needed', on Sat, 9 Apr 2005:

XLR are available with a 240V rated 3-pin or more arrangement:

Electrical Ratings:
Current per contac
t 3 pole, 16 A
4 pole, 10 A
5 pole, 7·5 A
Rated voltage 250 V a.c.
Test voltage 1500 V a.c.
Contact resistance £ 3 mO
Insulation resistance ³ 109O

They are NOT rated as mains connectors DO NOT USE XLRs for mains!

Yes, it was more of an amusing (?) suggestion. There are a lot of
wimpy little connectors rated at 300V that should never see anything
more than 24V and even that at limited current.

These are Neutrik (Swiss) but I also seem to recall that Cannon did
make a specific 240V 2 pin plus earth XLR connector and socket, but I
don't see it on the RS catalogue now. We have a couple of bits of old
kit in the workshop fitted with these. The body insert moulding was Red
and the pins were mechanically shielded IIRC.

It (the XLR-LNE) doesn't meet current safety requirements.

The IEC 60320 outlet socket and cable-mounting plug are made
specifically for what the OP wants to do, and meet all known safety
requirements. Why search for inferior, maybe dangerous, substitutes?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany