Peter A Forbes

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 06:57:14 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

There are some slightly more oddball connectors available easily (say,
from Home Despot in the US/Canada) including 120V twist-lock
connectors. Very cheap, IIRC, though not as cheap as domestic blade
plugs/sockets. XLR connectors are probably rated for the voltage, but
I don't haven't looked at the safety aspect of the females, and
somebody could plug a microphone into his box. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

XLR are available with a 240V rated 3-pin or more arrangement:

Electrical Ratings:
Current per contac
t 3 pole, 16 A
4 pole, 10 A
5 pole, 7·5 A
Rated voltage 250 V a.c.
Test voltage 1500 V a.c.
Contact resistance £ 3 mO
Insulation resistance ³ 109O

These are Neutrik (Swiss) but I also seem to recall that Cannon did make a
specific 240V 2 pin plus earth XLR connector and socket, but I don't see it on
the RS catalogue now. We have a couple of bits of old kit in the workshop fitted
with these. The body insert moulding was Red and the pins were mechanically
shielded IIRC.

I'll have a look in some old Newark catalogues.

Peter