mp wrote:

This is standard practice with UPS. It seems they regularly trash parcels
and the inspectors are so far behind that it takes a while for them to get
to you. UPS needs to verify that the package was damaged in shipping and the
packaging was up to par. Once that is done you're expected to submit a claim
to UPS and wait another 3 or 4 months to get your money. Some vendors will
handle UPS damaged goods claims for you, others wash their hands of any
responsibility once the shipment leaves their warehouse. If you're lucky
McFeely's will handle this for you, once UPS confirms the damage.

People seem to have this backwards. UPS is responsible to the *shipper*
not the recipient. The shipper pays the UPS charges, at least as far
as UPS is concerned, and if there is loss or damage the shipper has to
initiate the request for compensation. I know, I had UPS totally screw
up a package for me once and when I called them they told me I had to
get the shipper to file the complaint before they would even look into
it. In that particular case they never made good on it, but that was
many years ago and the guys who work for them in my area now seem to
actually do a good job. FedEx is a little sketchy, but UPS does great,
and I have never had a problem with USPS.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.