jo4hn

Charlie Self wrote:
[snip]
I must do it all backwards. I've never had more than minor problems
with any delivery service, including USPS, but I live in the country,
so it's common practice for the mail deliverer to bring extra size
packages down to the house. If we're not home, she'll put them in
whatever vehicle is open, or leave them on the stoop.

I don't get home mail delivery here in booneyville; we pick up at the
post office. There are a few lock boxes for smallish packages. Large
ones are saved and a card put into your PO box. The only problem is
when you don't know how the company will ship (UPS, USPS, Fedex, etc).
Putting the 9 digit zip (last 4 are the po box number) works. Without
that, Mark the post office guy knows me and will make it right.

We have better luck with UPS than others. Their drivers will leave
packages with the Cafe or Water Co office if the town roads are
impassible. Fedex will lie if the weather is the least bit bad saying
that the "business was closed" (residential address) or some such
hogwash on the status page on the web site.

It all depends on the local branches of the companies involved.
mahalo,
jo4hn