Mary Fisher

"David Chapman" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on how to eliminate/reduce the number of grey
squirrels that frequent our garden. Fat chance, I hear you say!

These wretched scavengers go for any food that we put out to feed the
blue-tits and other small birds. They manage to steal complete fat-
balls, coconut halves and other delicacies despite my suspending these
items from tree branches using thin, greased, wires to make things more
difficult for them. It's been quite interesting trying to develop new
ideas to try and thwart them and see how innovative they can be in still
getting the bird's food, but it's now getting beyond a joke.

Has anyone in this NG found a satisfactory way to 'deter' grey
squirrels from a garden without actually using poison, electricity, or
other means of 'terminating them with extreme prejudice' ?

There are some ingenious devices which I intended tryingbut didn't get round
to it. But suddenly, in the last eight or nine months or so, they've stopped
visiting our garden. I can't understand why, except that one of our banties
really did take exception to them. None of the other hens ever had an
effect, it might be pure co-incidence.

Are squirrel traps easy to make, and do they work? If I could catch a
few of the critters I'd take them a few miles away and release them,
hoping that they don't have such a good homing system as pigeons!

More would come in to fill the gap

Mary