Alan

David Chapman wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on how to eliminate/reduce the number of

grey
squirrels that frequent our garden. Fat chance, I hear you say!

These wretched scavengers go for any food that we put out to feed

the
blue-tits and other small birds. They manage to steal complete fat-
balls, coconut halves and other delicacies despite my suspending

these
items from tree branches using thin, greased, wires to make things

more
difficult for them. It's been quite interesting trying to develop new
ideas to try and thwart them and see how innovative they can be in

still
getting the bird's food, but it's now getting beyond a joke.

Has anyone in this NG found a satisfactory way to 'deter' grey
squirrels from a garden without actually using poison, electricity,

or
other means of 'terminating them with extreme prejudice' ?

Are squirrel traps easy to make, and do they work? If I could

catch a
few of the critters I'd take them a few miles away and release them,
hoping that they don't have such a good homing system as pigeons!

Ideas please!

TIA - Dave

David C.Chapman - )

Hi,

I agree with Chris - extermination by any means necessary is the best
thing. I think it should be the law... An air rifle is most effective.

Humane traps are very effective and simple to make. (I speak from
experience)
Look at the traps on www.tomahawklivetrap.com for some ideas. Basically
a cage open at one end with a hinged door held up with an arm which
releases the door when a squirrel steps on a plate once well in the
cage to get the food placed inside. You need some sort of latch to
prevent the door being pushed open and the cage needs to be made out of
squirrel proof material.
If you aren't up to making one then you can buy them in the UK - just
google for them.

Whether you move them or kill them, it will be a constant battle with
new squirrels moving in from outlying areas. I wish you luck.

Alan.