Chris Bacon

David Chapman wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on how to eliminate/reduce the number of grey
squirrels that frequent our garden. Fat chance, I hear you say!
snip
Has anyone in this NG found a satisfactory way to 'deter' grey
squirrels from a garden without actually using poison, electricity, or
other means of 'terminating them with extreme prejudice' ?

I've never heard a way to deter them that works. "Termination" is best.

Try a Fenn trap, although you need to be careful where you set these,
or you may catch birds or cats. Follow the instructions. They're about
a tenner. Bacon rind tied around the plate is good bait. Otherwise, a
"live trap" is useful 'cos you can see what you've caught. If it's a
grey squirrel, dunk the trap and contents into a water butt. Mind your
fingers, both Fenn traps and squirrels bite and they will have you if
they can! Don't put your fingers near a live squirrel! Other than that,
it's a steady hand, a steady eye, and an air rifle (at the legal non-
Firearm Certificate power limit), however this has the disadvantage
that you've got to hang around waiting.

Squirrels take both bird eggs and chicks, eat your flower bulbs, nibble
yout nuts, and can make a terrible mess of your wiring/insulation if
they get into the loft.