Joshua Putnam

In article ,
says...

As an aside, does anyone ever remeber mold being a subject when they were
growing up? People suing builders and development groups and such?

No, it's a very recent development for several reasons.

Older homes had a lot less mold -- they were too drafty to
provide a good environment for mold, things usually dried out too
quickly.

Also, because homes were drafty, indoor air quality was often
better than it is today in general. After making houses tighter
and tighter in the 70s-80s-90s, we're now mandating minimum air
exchange to bring back the fresh air that used to come from
drafts.

And, of course, fear-mongering by those who stand to profit from
mold remediation has brought a very minor risk to national
attention, while also frightening insurance underwriters enough
to produce a raft of exclusions and horror stories of people
unable to get insurance.

Glad I live in a hundred-year-old house that always dried out
when it got wet!

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/