TURTLE

"HeyBub" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:27:28 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:50:03 -0600, Luke wrote:

Our TV reception, from a roof antenna, was intermittently flaky.
Trying to find the problem, I got a shock when I touched both the
TV F-connector and coax cable antenna lead. So I put a tester on
and to
my surprise got a 75 volt reading.

DVD player around to plug it into all circuits. I also get ~30
volts
off the housing of an old stand mixer in the kitchen.

This isn't normal, is it?

NO. It's dangerous. It's gonna kill someone.

Ignore the illiterate hacks Matt and Turtle aka Weasel, and
get a licensed electrician in there NOW to find out what's going on,
before it kills you. You have neither the tools nor the training to
continue.

You either have a lifted neutral, or ground, and either one
can kill you, or burn your house down.

BTW - I'm a licensed Master Electrician, unlike the plumber
and the hack mentioned above.

That is the problem, you are an electrician and not into the
electronics. Many devices will have some leakage to them .

'Splain me that kitchen mixer with the voltage on the case,
Lucy. 'Design leakage', you say ???? 30 V to ground on a kitchen
appliance ??? You figure this 'plays nice' with GFCI kitchen circuits
????? Huh ???? DO you ????

A digital voltmeter will show
high voltages but do not take into account the current.

So will an analog VOLT meter. You do know that they are both
measuring VOLTS, and neither one GIVES A RATS ASS about amps, right
??? You understand that NO VOLT METER is capable of seeing or
recognizing or reporting AMPS, right ????

BTW, 30 V and 75 V are NOT HIGH VOLTAGE.

To see if the
device is really leaking enough current to be a hazzard to the user
you need to use a special meter or load the meter you have with a
resistor of a known value.

You are either ignorant or insane.

That is COMPLETE BULL****.

There will be no current to ground UNTIL YOU COMPLETE THE
CIRCUIT WITH YOUR BODY. Then you get all twitchy, and die.

Some times the capacitors and surge supressors will become damaged
due to old age or voltage surges. This can then become a big issue.

Then you have a short or partial short to ground ( the SS's ),
or beteeen legs ( the caps failing short ), NEITHER OF WHICH PUTS
VOLTAGE ON THE CASE OF THE MIXER IN THE KITCHEN !!!!

Sorry. You are wrong. Way wrong. Almost criminally wrong.

This is Turtle.

Don't rattle the resident troll like that for we will hear about it for a week
or two.

TURTLE