William

"Gerald Nunn" wrote in message

As I mentioned the mold is spotty in nature, it is distributed throughout
the attic from a region starting from two feet from the floor to the
ceiling. The spots themselves are small, the largest being no larger then
my
thumb. The attic was previously sealed and uninsulated with no
ventilation,
my thinking is the mold came from condensation from the house below rising
to the roof in colder weather. This would explain why the roof planks near
the floor are largely unaffected since in this area the air probably was
warm enough not to cause condensation.

Sounds about right. Proper venting should prevent a reoccurance.
I'd probably go with the inspector's opinions on it.

The shady side of my house has had something similar. Random
spots of mold (centered on rough spots in the siding - probably
where spores could hang on). I just washed it with Clorox house
cleaner and, since I wanted to repaint it anyway, gave the porch (the
worst offender) a coat of Kilz 2 before painting on the color. Mold
hasn't come back there. (It did return after two years in another
area - I'm planning on painting the whole house this year and I'll give
that area the Kilz treatment too.)

I grew up in Central Florida where mold was the least offensive
wildlife that invaded houses. You haven't lived until you've been
trapped in a room with a dozen panicked palmetto bugs. (They
don't fly well, but they sure try.) -Wm