John Willis

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:10:22 -0700, Steve Murphy
scribbled this interesting note:

Also, these companies all did a big song and dance about how solid and
solvent they are, yet they *need* nearly 50% up-front to cover their risk?

Two comments he

One: it is "industry standard" to have payment in installments.
Typically in thirds.

Two: We don't typically follow "industry standards" on our jobs. In
almost all our contracts we state clearly "To be paid upon
completion."

Several factors go into this. Do you want to hire someone who can't
afford to pay for materials? You usually don't know this person so do
you trust him or her implicitly? We (the contractor) have some legal
recourse if you (the homeowner) fails to pay (mechanic's lien.) You
(the homeowner) have little legal recourse (except civil-like small
claims court or similar proceedings) if we (the contractor) fails to
deliver full value.

Of course, this being the U.S. anyone is free to sue anyone else, but
we've never been involved in anything like that (and even avoided
being dragged into an ugly divorce case once where on spouse anted the
other to pay for a new roof!)

Like everything else you read here, this is only our experience and
worth as much as you paid for it!:~) (and I offer a 100% money back
guarantee if not fully satisfied!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)