Steve Murphy

in article , Colbyt at
wrote on 4/4/05 2:35 PM:

"Steve Murphy" wrote in message
I've just hired a contractor to replace some French doors on our house. We
did due diligence in the bidding process, and hired the contractor that we
felt best about. So far, so good.

However, in their contract, they required, in addition to the maximum
allowed by State law, another deposit of 36% of the total contract, before
they start work. In this case, we're talking about 3-5 weeks before they
start work.

This contractor checks out in every other way, and the other bidders all
seemed to be requiring the same amount up front. They way they tap dance
around the law is buy sending in a two-man crew to "re-measure" the work
before ordering the doors. This, they claim, constitutes the start of

work.

in article
, Colbyt at
wrote on 4/4/05 2:35 PM:

What % may I ask is the "allowed deposit" amount?

The maximum is the lesser of 10% or 1,000 -- on *any* job.

35-50% up front is normal on large jobs.

They are getting 46% of the total, and they are getting that about a month
before the work is scheduled to begin. This is for a $10K job. We're talking
about three sets of French doors.

As I said, everybody seems to be asking for about the same amount up front.
What bothers me is that it seems in blatant violation of State regulations.
Also, these companies all did a big song and dance about how solid and
solvent they are, yet they *need* nearly 50% up-front to cover their risk?

I don't know, it gives me the feeling of dealing with car dealers. And it
appears to be the norm in the industry. Oh well...

Thanks for the reply.