San Diego Joe

"Todd Fatheree" wrote:

Snip

So, I'm wondering if anyone who has
built kitchen cabinets ever broke down the cost to buy vs. the cost to make
(assuming, of course, that your own time has no value ;-).

/snip

Ah, that's the big question isn't it? The value of your time. If I remember
my econ 101, that's called opportunity cost. If you weren't building kitchen
cabinets, what would you be doing? If you would be engaged in something that
made more money than the cabinets cost to buy, then (all else being equal)
you'd be better off to buy them. On the other hand, if you come home at
night and build cabinets rather than watch the tube, you are much farther
ahead to build them yourself.

For me, the pluses that would lean me towards making them myself a

1) Personal satisfaction
2) I don't think they are that hard to build.

From the viewpoint of "your time has no value", just the lumber & hardware
will be way less than purchasing an equal quality cabinet. Plus, you might
be able your convince your significant other that you need this new tool,
but look at how much money you're saving

--
San Diego Joe