Joe AutoDrill

My comment was based on a replacement part we ordered a few years ago. We
had one of those roll/shear/brake combo tools and a cast iron side plate
cracked and couldn't be repaired. I ordered a replacement using the part
number from the "manual" and the guy at Enco tried to discourage me. I
didn't take his advice and went ahead with the order. Four months later
the part came in and it didn't even come close to matching the hole
locations on our machine. They were nice enough to refund our money --
they didn't even say "We told you so!".

If someone really wants a semi-cheap drill press or even drill/mill for a
project, we normally send them to Jet, Grainger or Delta... Only because I
have more confidence that the parts for those machines will be the same a
year from now when they break their drill press. It's not guaranteed, but
it is better than Harbor Freight or some of the other cheap models out
there.

Ellis is a good brand too, but they charge more.

One way around all this might be to design your drill press fixture with
adjustable clamps that could compensate for variations in the machine
dimensions. Good luck with your project.

Can't necessarily do that. The length differs from quill to spindle, etc.
Some have MT2 and some have J33, etc.

It's like saying "Make an adjustable clamp that works for either a Jet or a
Bridgeport....
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.