pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:48:40 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Donald Gares" wrote in message
This may not be exactly the correct group but this is where I lurk so you
get my question.

I have my shop totally plumbed for air with both inside and outside
connectors and it sits approximately in the middle of our rather large lot
in a small community. The compressor is a 7 HP with a 60 gallon tank.

Now the question: I can reach anyplace on our lot with 200' of air hose
but I am curious if I will lose any volume and/or pressure through that
long of a hose. The hose is a normal 3/8" rubber air hose. I currently
have 100' and everything (nailers, & even my TIP sandblaster) seems to
work fine but I thought that I would ask prior to purchasing another 100'.

TIA

Don

If you have quick connects, check the pressure coming off your tank. Now,
with THE SAME GAUGE, check the pressure at the end of the hose. There's
your answer.

Totally wrong. Couldn't be more wrong.

He could run a piece of 1/4 " tubing 1,000 feet, and get the
EXACT same pressure reading at both ends, AS LONG AS there was no
device actually trying to USE that air. The instant he USES any air,
the story changes.

I don't believe there would be any appreciable loss of flow, although I am
no expert. It will be nice to hear from someone who actually is in the
compressor business to give us the 100% for sure answer.

Well, the answer is : It will depend on how much air he wants
to use at the other end. A nailer, basically an intermittent-use
device, he would probably get away with. A sander or sand-blaster or
sprayer or grinder or pressure washer or such - a continuous use
device - different story. Then he needs to know the CFM consumption
and minimum pressure ( if minimum is satisfactory to his use needs )
of the device, and look up the flow restriction of his total piping /
tubing to the point of use, vs origin pressure at the tank and
pressure drop for tubing size.

Then, if he's off the charts ( too much pressure drop at
desired CFM ), the answer is 'buy a larger diameter hose, properly
sized as above.'

Click every day here to feed an animal !!! http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/