Art Todesco

I have seen many "newer" (15 years old or so) where the power internally
is derived from inverters right off the AC line. In many cases the, so
called chassis voltage (chassis "ground"), ends up being something other
than 0 volts. I have seen it to be 1/2 the line voltage. The tuner
input (the 75 ohm F connector) is capacitively coupled to this internal
chassis non-0 volt-"ground". It is a very small capacitor as it only
has to pass high frequency TV signals in the MHz range. However, with a
high impedance meter, one will read some of the 60Hz line through that
capacitor. As others have stated, with a old meter, i.e. 20000
ohms/volt, you probably won't see the voltage. I would, however, make
sure there is not a fault condition.

Bob Urz wrote:

wrote:

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 22:30:17 -0500, Bob Urz
wrote:

Well, if its only the mixer you need an appliance tech then.
A smart electrician should be able to understand the problem.

But it's not. He said it's all over the house, all kinds of
different devices, lots of different outlets. He was very specific on
that. I bet if he looked further, and knew how to look further, he
would have a longer list of places and devices where it shows up.

BTW - he said '30 V at the mixer, 75 V elsewhere'. Unless
there's a voltage doubler somewhere between the alleged leak in the
mixer and the rest of the house, it's not a leak in the mixer causing
this.

One big issue on leakage is phantom voltage. And understanding
what that really means. Most modern DVM's have such a high input
impedance that they can read a voltage that really not there.

What do you figure the chances are of seeing 30 - 75 V to
ground on multiple appliance chassis all over the house, and there not
being an actual problem ? I say 'zero'. What's your number ?

There are only a few possibilities here. One in the power distribution
One with the appliances. Or no problem at all and misinterpretation
of the data. WHen i get a chance, i will fluke some pieces i have laying
around and see what the results are. If any reads high, i will put
a leakage tester on them and recheck. Personally, i doubt that its in
the wiring unless it has been tampered with.

Bob

away. In any case, a leakage test with proper test equipment is the
best way to put an end to the issue.

Yep. IE - 'call a sparky'.

Click every day here to feed an animal !!!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online
http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's
http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

News==----
Newsgroups