Stephen M

I rebuilt my kitchen the hard way. I tore the end of my house off and put it
back. Seriously.

I never did get a hard quote on someone -else doing it, but I can give you
my cost numbers:

Scope:

* 8' bank of uppers (6 doors)
* 8' bank of lowers (6 doors/6drawers)
* 8ish ' bank of lowers (4 doors 8 drawers)
* 3'x4' (base) island (3 drawers 3 doors)
* 18" built-in cabinet floor to ceiling (2 doors)
* 24" built-in cabinet counter to ceiling (roll-top/tabbour door + open
shelves)

materials: Maple-veneer ply (3/4 for carcases, 1/2 for backs 1/4 for door
panels)
solid maple for face frames drawers and door frames.

4 years ago I paid about : $800 for sheet stock (average $57/sheet), $700
for solids (3.40/bf) About $500 for hinges drawer slides knobs and pulls (I
did not buy high-end hardware... 3/4 extension slides/ $2 knobs).

BTW: these guys have the excellent selection of hardware, decent prices and
a *really* useful search engine.
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/index.php
rant-on It ****es me off when I have to page through knobs based
manuufacturer. I could give a Sh*t who made it.... show me all the round
satin nickel ones rant-off No, I am not affiliated.

So my material cost was about $2K. This does *not* include and counter top
costs or plumbing fixtures. It also does not include any tooling costs.

Can you save money. *but* answer these first:

Do you have the skills?
How much additional tooling will you require?
Can you prebuild and store these components prior to demolition?
Can your family tolerate your folly? - this is really the big one

Since my project was really building an addition which included a kitchen, I
had a whole set of additional issues to deal with. The project went months
beyond schedule, but this had it's upside. The delays let me build up more
cash reserves to upgrade to granite counters and allowed me to get the
ass-kick'n pro-style range hood.

I "justified" my upgrade to a cabinet saw with this project. I also upgraded
my planer. Stuff I would have bought eventually anyway, so I can't really
charge that completely as a project expense.

Let me know if you would like any more data.

Also, don't underestimate the value of getting *exactly* what you want. If
you want 14-3/8" wide doors so that it will work out that all the doors are
identical, making the kitchen look all that more integrated... then you can
have it!

-Steve