Larry Jaques

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:25:08 GMT, the inscrutable Don Bruder
spake:

Fondly remembering a news article on the back of a recipe mom clipped
out of the Detroit Free Press back in about '72 - Headline: "Gas war
continues: Prices down to 31 cents per gallon in some areas" The story
went on to describe a "price war" in Detroit involving several gas
stations trying to undercut each other. Owners from several of the
stations were interviewed, and were raving about how they hadn't made so
much money in years, even with the seeming "cut your own throat" prices
that were involved. One owner was even quoted as saying he had plans to
drop his prices to a quarter a gallon for all grades, and was expecting
that if he did, he'd be making even more of a profit due to the volume.

I remember paying $0.21.3 per gallon in Phoenix in '73 when I left
LoCal for tech school there. It cost me $2.50 to fill up the tank
of that '68 Ford Ranch Wagon.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design