TURTLE

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
nk.net...
BTW - I'm a licensed Master Electrician, unlike the plumber
and the hack mentioned above.

That is the problem, you are an electrician and not into the

electronics.
Many devices will have some leakage to them .

'Splain me that kitchen mixer with the voltage on the case,
Lucy. 'Design leakage', you say ???? 30 V to ground on a kitchen
appliance ??? You figure this 'plays nice' with GFCI kitchen circuits
????? Huh ???? DO you ????

Ok, master electrician. The GFCI compairs the current going into the device
on the hot wire and comming out of the device on the nutral. As the mixer
probably does not have a ground wire the GFIC will not detect any leakage to
ground as there is no ground involved. If it did have a ground wire the
gfic would be tripping if there was a leakage of a big enough current. A
device can have a small ammount of leakage and not be detected by the GFIC .
A very high impedance voltmeter will show some voltage. A good old Simpson
260 will show a much lower voltage than a digital meter if this is the case.

A digital voltmeter will show
high voltages but do not take into account the current.

So will an analog VOLT meter. You do know that they are both
measuring VOLTS, and neither one GIVES A RATS ASS about amps, right
??? You understand that NO VOLT METER is capable of seeing or
recognizing or reporting AMPS, right ????

BTW, 30 V and 75 V are NOT HIGH VOLTAGE.

Hate to tell you but the analog voltmeters are actually current meters and
are calibrated in voltage. If you take care to look at the Simpson 260 you
will see it is a basic 50 microamp meter and resistors are put in series
with it to give a voltage reading. There is also a diode to convert the AC
to DC for the basic meter movement.
As analog meters usually have a much lower impedance they will read a lower
voltage than the the digital meters if the voltage source can not supply
enough current due to the impedance of the circuit.

I work in a large factory and deal with everything from low miliamp circuits
to 480 3 phase circuits at 600 amps. In the last couple of months I have
started some training on the 4160 volt and 13 K volt main feeders in the
plant.

This is Turtle.

You Whizzzzed over his Master Electrical licences in electronics. He never seen
# 2 wire.

TURTLE