TURTLE

"Luke" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:36:26 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:

"Luke" wrote in message
. ..
Our TV reception, from a roof antenna, was intermittently flaky.
Trying to find the problem, I got a shock when I touched both the TV
F-connector and coax cable antenna lead. So I put a tester on and to
my surprise got a 75 volt reading.

It's also 75 volts between the TV F-connector and the outlet ground
plug hole or outlet screw. And, there's 75 volts between any connector
on the TV and any of these grounds. I'm also getting ~40 volts off the
VCR F-connector, and ~50 volts off the DVD player *housing*.

Best I can determine this is the case with all house circuits. I
plugged the TV into several, using extension cords, and carried the
DVD player around to plug it into all circuits. I also get ~30 volts
off the housing of an old stand mixer in the kitchen.

This isn't normal, is it?

I checked as many outlets as I could get to with a GB plug-in circuit
tester, and all test correct. All outlets are at 125 volts. I opened
the main panel and the one subpanel to see what I could see, and all
looked right, though I really don't know what I'm looking for here.

What would cause "hot" appliances, and how do I track this down?

Thanks!

--
Luke

This is Turtle.

I seen this about 10 years ago on one job and it was the VCR messing up. The
VCR
was putting 115 volts on the Cox's Cable line coming into the house.

Take all the DVD , TV Boosters , or VCR out of the circuit and hook nothing up
but the TV and you will see a difference if it is one of them. I had a 2 man
crew hunting the power source over 3 hours in a attic and found it at the tv.
I'm not in the TV and VCR business but the Customer of a big account had this
problem.

TURTLE

Thanks. I already did that. I disconnected all audio/video
connections. With *only* the TV plugged in, I get 75 volts off the
F-connector and other outputs. ~40 volts off the VCR F-connector with
*only* the VCR plugged in. And ~50 volts off the DVD player housing
with only the DVD player plugged in. Also ~30 volts off the kitchen
stand mixer housing, and the DVD player housing is hot on other
circuits, too, so obviously disconnected from the TV and VCR.

--
Luke

This is Turtle.

Unplug everything and just read off the two ends of the house and entrance cable
to if it is coming in or backing up on just the cable. It has to be coming from
somewhere 1

TURTLE