Luke

Default 75 Volts off TV F-connector?

Our TV reception, from a roof antenna, was intermittently flaky.
Trying to find the problem, I got a shock when I touched both the TV
F-connector and coax cable antenna lead. So I put a tester on and to
my surprise got a 75 volt reading.

It's also 75 volts between the TV F-connector and the outlet ground
plug hole or outlet screw. And, there's 75 volts between any connector
on the TV and any of these grounds. I'm also getting ~40 volts off the
VCR F-connector, and ~50 volts off the DVD player *housing*.

Best I can determine this is the case with all house circuits. I
plugged the TV into several, using extension cords, and carried the
DVD player around to plug it into all circuits. I also get ~30 volts
off the housing of an old stand mixer in the kitchen.

This isn't normal, is it?

I checked as many outlets as I could get to with a GB plug-in circuit
tester, and all test correct. All outlets are at 125 volts. I opened
the main panel and the one subpanel to see what I could see, and all
looked right, though I really don't know what I'm looking for here.

What would cause "hot" appliances, and how do I track this down?

Thanks!

--
Luke