Heds wrote:

Thanks for all your advice.

So I should look for a MIG rather than an ARC. Next question is: Gas

or

Youve only got 50 notes, and you wont get anything but arc for that.

Arc is cheap to buy and dead cheap on electrodes (from 25p). The
downsides are 2:
the weld is a mess and needs a cleanup
it takes a bit of practice to get the stick waggling right. Expect
problems for the first 1/2 to 1 hour with arcs going out, and workpiece
not heated enough.

Gasless wire is very nice to use, but you wont get anything for =A350,
and the wire is expensive too. =A39 a reel isnt huge but it adds up with
reel after reel, theres not much on one reel.
Advantages:
easy, 5 minutes practice is enough
welds are clean, no need to bash the crap off them afterwards.

Since youve got 50, its arc. Dont touch the 185A one, it'll vapourise
anything you work on instantly.

The one issue I always notice with budget welders is current control
that doesnt go low enough. You need one that goes down to 15A at the
most, I dont think Ive ever needed to use as much as 40A. The brochures
promote huge currents, but thats just not whats needed, especially for
lightweight work. You could probably build a house structure with 40A.

NT