Dave Gibson

Default Microporus paint

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:30:05 +0100, "Dave Gibson" wrote:

As a point of interest I have always used Sikkens/Sadolin on all my

external
joinery for years, but have always had problems with it failing on the

south
side of my property after 2 or 3 years (goes hard and starts flaking)
despite on one occasion stripping back completely to bare wood and using

the
full recommended application sequence.

Hi,

Can you remember which particular types these were, also what type of
wood were you using them on?

cheers,
Pete.

Yep, I remember it well. My window frames are standard Boulton and Paul
pressure treated softwood. The last time I stripped all the woodwork back to
raw using a scraper and sander I used 2 coats of Sikkens Cetol HLS (Teak)
followed by 2 coats of Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 (Teak). As I said, the coating
started flaking off on the horizontals after 3 years on the south side of
the house. I then rubbed it down and applied 2 coats of Ronseal 5 year
Woodstain and its still in good nick after 6 years, although I will be
applying a maintenance coat this year.

Needless to say I shall never use Sikkens again, I think its overpriced (
although the Ronseal product is not *that* much cheaper ) and overhyped

HTH

Dave