Mary Fisher

Default building regs for staircases

"PoP" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:18:22 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Yep. Just broke my foot today falling down three steps of my genuine
authentic 19th century wooden stairs.
They are going no matter what the conservation officer thinks !!!!!!

I slipped on the stairs about 4 years ago - straight onto my coxix or
whatever that small knob at the base of the spine is. With some 15
stone going down on it it's a wonder I didn't do myself very serious
damage.

My story is that about the same time Spouse had made me some new C15th
shoes - we were going to a mediaeval Christmas at St Briavel's Castle - and
I tried them on upstairs. I realised that the soles were very slippery and
that they might not grip on stone steps.

So I went down our (carpeted!) stairs, wearing them, to ask him to rough
them up.

I was only (!) 12 stones but the bruises on my extensive thigh were vast and
deep and as colourful as only bruises can be. I couldn't sit straight on the
wooden benches or sleep in any position. It was a memorable Christmas and I
was jolly lucky not to have suffered more permanent damage.

Not the fault of the stairs though - simply stupidity on my part. I'm
extremely careful these days.

Mary