Steven Briggs

Default Building a shed from scratch

In message , John Rumm
writes
I did something similar to Andy - but slightly different

The eves were designed with a few inches of overhang, and the ends of
the rafters were sawn so as to leave a vertical edge at the end of the
roof. The ply on the roof was cut so as to be about an inch wider than
the overhang of the rafters. I then fixed a 2"x1" batten to the ends of
the rafters on both sides (a bit like a facia board). I also made up
short noggins and fixed those in place on the gable ends against the
underside of the ply overhang so as to create a "standoff" similar to
that provided by the eves, and then fixed more batten to that.

The effect was that the vertical serface of this facia was flush with
the edge of the roofing ply. The felt then draped over this facia.

I then screwed a second batten to the outside of the first *through*
the 3 layers of felt overhanging the edge of the roof:

felt- /
/
##|##
outer ##|## - facia
batten- ##|##

This created a sandwich effect - with the felt clamped between the two
layers of wood. Finishing off was then just a matter of running a knife
along the underside of the batten to trim off the remaining felt (in
fact it could be torn off pretty neatly). You can see the result most
clearly he-

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop/images/edges.jpg

Looks good, something similar is called for I think.

The current material list includes 210m of 3x2, 285m of cladding and
285m of T&G floor / roof. Eeek. Over £1500 at list prices for all the
materials so far, so next its shopping round for a job lot price.

A couple of things jump out at me there... I had 135m of framing (plus
a further 37m of 2x4"), and 281m of cladding. So unless you are
planning lots of studs very close together you are going to need either
less framing, or more cladding (and you always need more cladding than
you think!)

Well there's a number of windows, French doors on the summer house,
which reduce the cladding requirement, and extra framing for the
sticky-out roof over the deck area.

You may want to compare dimensions with:-

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop/plans.htm

Using T&G for the floor will push the price up as well. 19mm WBP ply
works very well at about 18 quid a sheet (I needed 3 IIRC)

Strangely the T&G works out considerably cheaper at £13.40 (+vat) for a
8'x4' equivalent area.

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop/tips.htm

I think I paid about 700 all in for the timber - it does pay in the end
to go to a builder merchant with a big list though, since I probably
got a couple of hundred off list price due to the size of the order.
The whole project cost was probably only 1500 - 1600 ish. Note also
that included a well over engineered base, and 200 odd quids work of
electrics that you can probably do without.

Oh I don't know. I can see LV spots being used inside & outside on the
summerhouse / deck area, the effect looks so good on the CAD renders.

Point of no return tomorrow hopefully, the old garage goes, leaving a
yawning great space to be filled.
--
Steve