The metal inserts give the cue a different feel than the cues with a
pin into wood. I'd like to make a different shaft for a cue I own that
has a 3/8 X 10TPI pin in wood.

I will also need to figure it out if anyone wants me to build them a
shaft for such a cue. If other people can do it I'm sure I can figure
it out, plus that's half the fun. This is mainly just a hobby for me.

I ordered some 1/4" round HSS rod to grind into shape to try for now.
The guy in the link above says that HSS isn't rigid enough, but if it's
used to cut metal threads, i dont' see why it can't cut them in wood.
Maybe he didn't try it with taking enough cuts and doing that last few
without moving the toolholder to clean everything up.

thanks,
Scott