David Cook

I assume you say that because of the gradual degradation.

We HAVE taken the two screws loose at the back of the element and
pulled it a few inches and inspected the ELEMENT and the two wires
and it looks ok PHYSICALLY.

Can we use an ohm-meter to test it?

Is it possible for the element to be 'bad' even tho it looks ok physically?
(Or, should we just 'bite the bullet' and buy a new one, based on the 20
years
of age? How expensive is an element?)

Cheers...

Dave

"Olaf" wrote in message

"David Cook" wrote in message

Over the past month, the oven was taking longer and longer
to pre-heat, and now it does NOT heat up at all, when
the function switch is set to BAKE. The bottom element
does not get hot at all now.

I'd suspect the heat element based on that description.

You are correct in that the bottom element only is used for the 'bake'
setting, and the top only is used for 'broil'.