Andy Hall

Default Building a shed from scratch

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:29:31 +0100, Steven Briggs
wrote:

Thanks for all the comments.

Now, Andy / John, how did you finish off the eaves edge of the roof.
You've got rafters topped by ply, did you just let the felt form a drip
edge? Into a gutter? Did you doing anything to the ends of the rafters,
seems they'd be vulnerable to getting splashed from the gutter.

On an earlier shed where I really minimised the overhang of the roof,
I ended the rafters inside the wall. I then screwed a length of
timber to the edge of the roof boarding to create a shape over which
to fold the felt. With the felt, I formed a folded drip edge with
the edge of it over the gutter. It doesn't splash up from the
gutter.

On the recent cabin, the rafters go out beyond the wall and form a
feature that can be seen from underneath.

However, the roof covering is done differently to what you probably
have in mind.

The rafters were first covered with ply cut exactly to match the ends
of the rafters. Roofing felt was laid on that and dressed down
vertically. I attached a vertical piece of timber to the ends of the
rafters to form a fascia and trapped the felt behind the fascia also
adding a sealer. This is not the final roof, and this area is not
subject to any significant amount of water.

I then laid pressure treated 38mmx18mm roofing battens up the slope of
the roof on 500mm centres, and then the same orthogonally to them,
horizontally up the roof with 150mm between centres.

The final covering is cedar shakes which are nailed into place using
the recommended procedure.

This is more or less like the procedure at

http://www.cedarbureau.org/techinfo/...-fig%207-8.htm

escept that there is a single layer of felt on the roof boards and the
vertically running battens are smaller - the same as the horizontal
ones. The reason for the method is so that if water does get
past the gaps in the shakes (fairly unlikely), it can run down on the
felt and escape at the bottom.

If you are using felt only, then I would arrange for it to be folded
under to form a drip piece.

I think John mentioned in a post (or his excellent) site that a 30deg
roof looked wrong. That's what I was planning, but having looked e.g.
next door's summer house shed (off the peg style one) with a shallower
roof angle, I think you may be right. I'm now working on 22.5deg (next
stop on the mitre saw), lowers the ridge ~200mm and means I get 3
rafters out of a 4.2m length of timber.

My most recent cabin has a roof slope of around 18 degrees. This
looks fine, especially if you have the roof overhanging some way.

One other advantage is that you can have a larger floor area and wall
height while keeping under the 4m ridge height issue for planning
purposes.

Considering your idea of part potting shed, part summerhouse, part
covered patio, I think that an overhanging roof design would look
pretty good.

The current material list includes 210m of 3x2, 285m of cladding and
285m of T&G floor / roof. Eeek. Over £1500 at list prices for all the
materials so far, so next its shopping round for a job lot price.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl