Chris J Dixon

Default building regs for staircases

Christian McArdle wrote:

There are two issues here, handrails and guarding. You only need 2 handrails
if the stairs are more than 1 metre wide, which is probably not the case.
However, you need guarding if there is a drop greater than 600mm. This is
clearly needed. Generally the guarding would incorporate a handrail. So, in
summary, you can get away with one handrail, but it has to be on the room
side, not the wall side.

The guarding will consist of a handrail at between 900mm and 1000mm from the
tread. Beneath this rail must be guarded such that no object (sphere) of
100mm could be inserted through it. This is to stop babies and children
crawling through and being trapped or falling to their death. The
construction must be difficult to climb for a young child. This basically
means you may not use horizontal rails. You can use vertical banisters,
rails angled with the stair rising, or a solid wall.

How is it that so many "designer" homes, often of the type shown
on TV or in the glossies, completely ignore these requirements?
I've lost count of the number of times I have had a dig in the
ribs from SWMBO for muttering *Building Regs" on seeing them.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.