Jerry Built

Default Microporus paint

Nick Brooks wrote:
Pete C wrote:
"Stuart" wrote:
Where do I buy this from. Is it only mean't for hardwood
This has been specified on a property I am working on, at was
to cover Cedar V groved panneling. I have now been given the
go ahead to use softwood instead, don't know wether or not to
ask to use ordinary paint as well!

Is this an interior job? Microporous paint is normally used
outside, inside it's unlikely to be helpful. When you use
it, it must be applied as a "system", i.e. the primer, under-
and top-coat must be porous else the whole thing is a waste
of time (it's not *that* good anyway, IMO).

You might be better off using something like Sikkens or
Sadolin, they do microporous wood stain in a wide variety
of colours, and have a helpline too.

But a stain doesn't preserve, does it?

If you use softwood then a few generous coats of a suitable
wood preserver on all surfaces, particularly on end grain is
a very good idea. If you can coat the end grain of the
panelling too, even better.

Cheap paint, microporous or not is often a bad idea.

I very much agree with the latter statement!

Sikkens also do microporous paint and it's good stuff. So it
should be at =A360 for a 5l tin
=20
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SIKSAT/

There are other places that can beat this price. It seems to me
that "decoratingdirect" are rather expensive.

If you are treating outside timber, then linseed oil is very
good, where appropriate, easily maintainable, and cheap.

J.B.