Mark

Default Your thoughts on build standard of 1950s council houses

On 10 Aug 2003 08:12:05 -0700, (dg) wrote:

Council houses sell well not because of the quality of construction,
but rather that you can get them relatively cheap and be able to make
a tidy profit at sale time.

Condensation and [lack of central] heating tend to be the main
concerns. However the BRE has noted a number of construction problems
with the majority of system built properties.

In the few thousand that we manage, lifestyle and location (ie north
facing main elevations or direction of prevelent winds) can have a
dramatic impact on internal comfort and problems.

Bracing to roof trusses, movement in raft foundations, movement in
concrete wall panels, and internal box gutters are other commen
problem areas.

dg

Front is northish facing but hey who wants the sun shining into the tv
room all day. ;-) Much better onto the patio in the back...

Roof trusses are probably twice the thickness of new stuff, no panels
to move as it's a foot thick of solidish concrete, gutters are abestos
but hindsight is a handy thing. :-)

The last new house I was in I watched with some amusement as the owner
accidental fell into a wall while carrying a pc and punched a nice
hole through it (plasterboard)...

Mark S.