doozer

[news] wrote:
doozer wrote:

Do the job correctly or not at all.

I agree. I briefly considered running network cables behind a piece of
skirting in an area where putting them under the floor would mean
drilling a large number of joists. I quickly realized that putting them
behind the skirting rule broke (software development) rule number 1:

Always do the least surprising thing.

You might not want to bang nails into the skirting but what if the next
owner of the house notices a crack along the top of the skirting (where
it's come loose because you have crammed a load of cable behind it) and
whacks a nail in. Hmmm not a nice picture.

could one not place galvanised steel capping over the cables as is
done when cables are buried in the walls ?

RT

You could but I don't really rate the coverings I have seen. I am pretty
sure that I could bang a nail through them without really trying. If I
was putting a fair sized nail into thick skirting and expected to be
nailing into breeze block I could easily be inclined to hit it hard
enough to puncture a wire cap.

I would have to have a really really good reason to run a cable behind a
skirting board (even a concrete floor wasn't enough to make me run it
behind skirting).