xrongor

"Drifter" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:58:10 -0600, Bob Simon
wrote:

My 1200W microwave oven no longer heats. Since the electronics
package still works and the motorized platter turns, I presume that I
need a new magnetron. How can I verify this?

In general, if we're otherwise satisfied with the oven, does it make
sense to replace the magnetron? Or is the cost probably going to be
at least 50% of the price of a new oven?

I will say this. If you are going to try and self repair a microwave
you really should consider buying one of these or something like it.
http://www.safetyhero.com/mall/microwave.asp

Whatever you do, don't fire it up unshielded. Microwave radiation can
do SERIOUS harm long before you even realize that anything is wrong.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool do it yourselfer and fix it man and I hate how
we've become a "throw away" society, but some things are just too
dangerous for the untrained to mess with.
(Televisions, Microwaves, A/C compressors, anti-lock brakes, etc)

what good is that thing? so now you know for sure you nuked yourself. its
too late. whats done is done.

likely all that needs to be done is to unplug the thing, remove the cover,
find the ceramic fuse and replace it.

randy