SJF

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Bob Simon" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:52:39 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Bob Simon wrote:
My 1200W microwave oven no longer heats. Since the electronics
package still works and the motorized platter turns, I presume that I
need a new magnetron. How can I verify this?

In general, if we're otherwise satisfied with the oven, does it make
sense to replace the magnetron? Or is the cost probably going to be
at least 50% of the price of a new oven?

I would guess the cost is going to be more than 50% of a new oven.

They
are really not made to be repaired. Once they are past warrantee,

repairs
are usually out of the question. New ones are usually better and less
expensive than you paid for the one you have.

Thank you.

Can you give me some idea how much it might cost to replace a
magnetron? For the record, the microwave is a Panasonic NN-S760WA.
1300W. Counter top unit. Manufactured in May 2000.

Before I go shopping, I'm going to take it apart and look for a blown
fuse. Is there typically a big capacitor I should watch out for?

Also clean all the connectors, even if they look fine and feel tight, and
clean all the microswitches, like on the door interlock. I've rescued more
than one curbside microwave that way, and passed them on to broke

siblings.
(I'm still using my 23 year old Goldstar cheapie, mechanical timer, no
turntable, damn thing won't die.)

aem sends...

Try turning of the electricity (unplug?) to the unit. I've heard that, on
some, the programming will reset and you're back in business. I had this
happen with an old over-the-range Litton. Unfortunately, I'd bought a new
unit and discovered this applied to mine only when I was removing the old
one. Oh well, I do like the new one! --- SJF