Gareth Magennis

No, I behave in an appropriate manner. Rules are not there to be strictly
adhered to, otherwise every time you came accross a vehicle parked you had
to cross the central line (illegal) to get round it, the whole country would
grind to a halt. For me, and I suspect many others, top posting a simple
reply is a far more sensible way of behaving in a newsgroup than blindly
following some ettiquette for the sake of being "right". If anyone really
needs to read the post being replied to it is still there. What really is
the problem other than sheer bloody mindedness?

Do you also make up your own rules when you
drive on public roads?
attend a public performance?
go to someone's home?

This is the document on which Usenet is based:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:8...*-*-*-original
The relevant portion is highlighted.