Rumpty

I have a business associate I probably see a few times every year, a new
young furniture maker, last fall I asked what finish do you use, he answered
"wipe on poly" well as soon as I heard that I went into my ISO rant. I
recently saw him at a show and first thing he asked was what waterborne
finish I was using. I asked why? He mentioned that his wife does the
finishing and she developed "mood modification" after finishing, i.e. she
would argue and get POed really easy. Mood modification is another ISO
reaction.

I haven't sprayed poly in 20 years due to sore throats and mood
modification. I have on a rare occasion sprayed a fender or two on the
family car, and after spraying a hardened auto paint, my throat hurts....20
years later and same reaction.
--

Rumpty

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Rumpty wrote:

Isocyanates _will_ be contained in _all_ polyurethanes including

waterborne,
and will not be contained in any other kind of coating, as by definition
isocyanate-based coatings are polyurethanes

John thanks for the clarification, I'm a ISO freak who has had bad
dealings
with them. That's one reason why I use Hydrocote Resistane as a finish

as
it doesn't contain ISO's.

Inhale deeply......

I remember the day that one of my former employers lost one of their minor
but irreplaceable corporate resources--there was a painter on the

propeller
blade line who had been with the company over 30 years. He could put a
blade on the balance machine, check the balance, move it to the spray
booth, put a coat of paint on it, and it wouldn't need final balance

(which
is intended to adjust for the weight of the paint) afterwards--he could
eyeball it that precisely. After spraying polyurethanes for 15 years or
so, with a good spray booth but no respirator (it was Fortune 500

Aerospace
and they do things like that right or not at all, but the safety folks did
their thing and the numbers said that in that booth he didn't need any

kind
of protection), one day his system decided that it wanted to be allergic

the stuff and he couldn't even come into the factory anymore (building is
about a quarter mile square) without going into anaphylactic shock.

That's the insidious thing about isocyanates--not that they're immediately
toxic but that when your system decides that it's had enough, then you
can't even get _close_ to them. And when that point of sensitization
occurs seems to be random--one guy can spray his whole life without any
protection and never have a problem, another guy can get sensitized the
first time he forgets to wear his air mask.

--

Rumpty

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Rumpty wrote:

I recently purchased a cartridge-style respirator with organic vapor
filters for lung protection. Do I need to be worried about an
explosion from these vapors?

Typically NO, but you do need ventilation and for occasional home use

window fan used in a window for exhaust will work. IF you are

spraying
then you "may" have explosion considerations.

Oh, keep in mind "organic vapor filters " will NOT protect you

against
Isocynates which may be contained in some products such as
polyurethane.

Isocyanates _will_ be contained in _all_ polyurethanes including

waterborne,
and will not be contained in any other kind of coating, as by

definition
isocyanate-based coatings are polyurethanes.

--

Rumpty

Radial Arm Saw Forum:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/woodbutcher/start

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in message
oups.com...
So we've sorted out that dust is likely not a risk for combustion in
the home workshop unless you're shaking out your dust collector bags
right beside your furnace/ hot water tank pilot light.

Now for the vapours....I try to keep to the water-based stains,
paints,
etc, but every once in a while resort to an oil-based. If I'm using
an
oil-based, I crank the basement window open (basement shop). I
recently purchased a cartridge-style respirator with organic vapor
filters for lung protection. Do I need to be worried about an
explosion from these vapors? What sort of concentration is required
before the flame will make a big 'poof.'

I was planning to use some contact cement on a project. I had
purchased latex CC, but advice from this forum recommended oil-based
CC. Based on the warnings on the can, I'm thinking maybe this stuff
should stay out of the basement shop.

On a slightly different note.....

I need to attach oak skins to kitchen cabinet sides. How dangerous

is
this stuff to use on a main floor kitchen. I would close the

basement
door to prevent the vapours sinking to the basement, and set up a

fan
with windows open to exhaust the vapours.

Thoughts?

Steve

--
--John