Percival P. Cassidy

Here's how you might get a rough idea what it would cost to replace the
magnetron. Look up the cost of a new magnetron for your appliance at

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/

Then add at least 20% because the above is a discounter and your local
repair guy is probably going to charge you list price. Then allow an
hour's labor at, say, $75/hr. (might be more or less, depending on where
you are). Compare this cost with the cost of a new microwave.

But it might not be the magnetron. It might be the transformer (which
might be almost as expensive to replace as the magnetron), or it might
be an internal fuse costing 50 cents but could still take up to half an
hour to replace.

A microwave is not something you want to try fixing yourself.

Perce

On 03/29/05 11:58 am Bob Simon tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

My 1200W microwave oven no longer heats. Since the electronics
package still works and the motorized platter turns, I presume that I
need a new magnetron. How can I verify this?

In general, if we're otherwise satisfied with the oven, does it make
sense to replace the magnetron? Or is the cost probably going to be
at least 50% of the price of a new oven?