Gerald Ross

Mr Fixit eh wrote:

So we've sorted out that dust is likely not a risk for combustion in
the home workshop unless you're shaking out your dust collector bags
right beside your furnace/ hot water tank pilot light.

Now for the vapours....I try to keep to the water-based stains, paints,
etc, but every once in a while resort to an oil-based. If I'm using an
oil-based, I crank the basement window open (basement shop). I
recently purchased a cartridge-style respirator with organic vapor
filters for lung protection. Do I need to be worried about an
explosion from these vapors? What sort of concentration is required
before the flame will make a big 'poof.'

I was planning to use some contact cement on a project. I had
purchased latex CC, but advice from this forum recommended oil-based
CC. Based on the warnings on the can, I'm thinking maybe this stuff
should stay out of the basement shop.

snip

I once saw a woman in the ER who was blown through the
CLOSED door out into the yard while she was using contact
cement to surface counter tops. The water heater pilot
ignited the vapors. She was not seriously injured but the
windows were.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA