George

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in message
oups.com...
So we've sorted out that dust is likely not a risk for combustion in
the home workshop unless you're shaking out your dust collector bags
right beside your furnace/ hot water tank pilot light.

Now for the vapours....I try to keep to the water-based stains, paints,
etc, but every once in a while resort to an oil-based. If I'm using an
oil-based, I crank the basement window open (basement shop). I
recently purchased a cartridge-style respirator with organic vapor
filters for lung protection. Do I need to be worried about an
explosion from these vapors? What sort of concentration is required
before the flame will make a big 'poof.'

I was planning to use some contact cement on a project. I had
purchased latex CC, but advice from this forum recommended oil-based
CC. Based on the warnings on the can, I'm thinking maybe this stuff
should stay out of the basement shop.

On a slightly different note.....

I need to attach oak skins to kitchen cabinet sides. How dangerous is
this stuff to use on a main floor kitchen. I would close the basement
door to prevent the vapours sinking to the basement, and set up a fan
with windows open to exhaust the vapours.

Thoughts?

http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/flashpoint.html

For the basics. Normally that will appear on the container, as well.

Problem with some vapors is that they are enough heavier than air to hang
around close to the floor. Thus the of-repeated warning to use in a
"well-ventilated" space, which is meant to describe conditions where they
are mixed with a great volume of air, rather than waiting for that casual
spark in some low area. More for protection of your hide than lungs.