Joseph Meehan

I would use hydraulic mulch, which is available at landscape
suppliers, like Lesco. It's a cellulose product that comes in bags
and is what's used to hydro seed. After it's wetted, it expands,
holds moisture which is good for germination, and reduces erosion.
That should work well unless you have a steep grade or other issues.
Make sure you get the kind that is intended to be spread either with
a drop spreader or thrown out on small areas by hand. The other
type goes in hydro-seeding gear.

It's superior to the other solution, which is straw. I've always
found weed seed contained in straw to be a problem. If you use
that, you want straw that is weed free, but I have no idea how to
really find a good source.

Would Home Depot have this stuff?

LB

Usually.