mikep187

Default Keeping topsoil from washing away on clay

I am trying to plant grass over a spot that had to be dug up last fall
to replace a pipe, the area is all clay.. I laid the topsoil
yesterday then put seed and fertilzer down, but today a heavy rain
storm washed away some sections of topsoi, and most likely the seed
alsol. What do I need to do to keep the topsoil on long enough for
the grass to start?

I would use hydraulic mulch, which is available at landscape suppliers,
like Lesco. It's a cellulose product that comes in bags and is what's
used to hydro seed. After it's wetted, it expands, holds moisture
which is good for germination, and reduces erosion. That should work
well unless you have a steep grade or other issues. Make sure you get
the kind that is intended to be spread either with a drop spreader or
thrown out on small areas by hand. The other type goes in
hydro-seeding gear.

It's superior to the other solution, which is straw. I've always found
weed seed contained in straw to be a problem. If you use that, you
want straw that is weed free, but I have no idea how to really find a
good source.

SJF

"mikep187" wrote in message
news:1112056400.30e7541b75b969497703baad718e7340@t eranews...
I am trying to plant grass over a spot that had to be dug up last fall
to replace a pipe, the area is all clay.. I laid the topsoil
yesterday then put seed and fertilzer down, but today a heavy rain
storm washed away some sections of topsoi, and most likely the seed
alsol. What do I need to do to keep the topsoil on long enough for
the grass to start?

We used to prepare and seed the area, then cover it with open-weave burlap
sacks. Pin them down with sticks or pieces of wire. It provides good
moisture retaining mulch and controls erosion better than anything I know.
Grass sprouts right through the fabric which eventually decays. Don't know
where you get them nowadays. Ours were mostly potato sacks (100 pounds?).
Haven't seen one since I became a city boy. --- SJF

m Ransley

There are special plastic matts-screens avalaible. That and straw or
burlap.

Norminn

mikep187 wrote:
I am trying to plant grass over a spot that had to be dug up last fall
to replace a pipe, the area is all clay.. I laid the topsoil
yesterday then put seed and fertilzer down, but today a heavy rain
storm washed away some sections of topsoi, and most likely the seed
alsol. What do I need to do to keep the topsoil on long enough for
the grass to start?

If it is only a "spot", get some sod. If it is an area constantly
washed out, consider shrubs or groundcover that will hold soil better.