I would use hydraulic mulch, which is available at landscape suppliers,
like Lesco. It's a cellulose product that comes in bags and is what's
used to hydro seed. After it's wetted, it expands, holds moisture
which is good for germination, and reduces erosion. That should work
well unless you have a steep grade or other issues. Make sure you get
the kind that is intended to be spread either with a drop spreader or
thrown out on small areas by hand. The other type goes in
hydro-seeding gear.

It's superior to the other solution, which is straw. I've always found
weed seed contained in straw to be a problem. If you use that, you
want straw that is weed free, but I have no idea how to really find a
good source.

Would Home Depot have this stuff?

LB