Peter Ashby

Owen Lawrence wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Owen Lawrence wrote:
I once saw Norm use a router and a template to plunge a series of holes

for
a shelf standard. I used a drillpress and a jig to do the same thing.

His
solution was better.

In what way would you consider it better? Only thing that would come to
mind to me would be if it were a tall bookcase it would take additional
support to hold the workpiece on the drillpress.

Your observation is one way it was better. His way he was moving the tool,
which was smaller than the workpiece. My way I was moving the wood, which
was smaller than the tool. That's much more cumbersome. He zipped through
two series of holes in about the same time it took me to drill just a
handful. My jig turned out to be not so easy to adjust, but it did the job
the couple of times I needed it, so that's okay. I don't know about anyone
else's jigs; I just made something up. It's got a sliding arm with a pin
that sticks into the hole you just drilled, to position you for the next
hole. Lift it up, slide the work, drop it down, etc. etc.

Sounds like the jig I made up to drill the dog holes down my bench
evenly spaced (there are three rows). I have a drill guide, like a
router base and pillars you clamp a drill in. So I get the advantages of
a drill with the advantage of a router.

Peter