Colin Jacobs wrote:
A bit OT but as you are all engineers What is the melting point of

lead? If
I melt it are the fumes poisonous?

What is the best vessel to melt lead in?

You melt lead OUTSIDE. I've done literally tons of it and I'm still
here. If it's a one-time thing, don't worry about inhaling fumes too
much. Yes, you can get poisoned by it after extensive use, wash your
hands after handling and don't each your lunch next to the firepot.
Stay upwind, too.

There are electric bullet casting furnaces available for $30-50(Lee) if
you want to do smallish casting jobs, much larger ones for more bucks.
These are probably the most convenient for repeated use. From there,
you can go to the old Coleman stove with a plumber's lead pot, these
are cast iron crucibles with bails. I've seen them in a particularly
well-equipped hardware store, but you don't want to pay those prices.
Look around for auctions and such, they usually go cheap. Sometimes
you can get a gas-fired or gasoline-fired lead furnace cheaply, poured
lead joints aren't much used anymore. Go with propane, if you can, the
gasoline-fired ones are a pain to use.

If you have just a small cast to do, look for a cast iron ladle, these
hold from a half-pound on up to several pounds, you can melt your alloy
right in there.

For makeshifts, small amounts can be directly melted using a stainless
steel spoon. For larger amounts, a large pipe cap could be
welded/brazed onto a shank and that used for melting and pouring. My
dad used a freebie cast iron dutch oven for melting wheel weights down
using the plumber's furnaces. If you use any kitchen utensil for
melting lead, make sure you mark it or otherwise make sure it's never
used for food service again. Leaving a heel of lead in there after
casting might do.

You need protection when melting lead, high-top leather shoes, cotton
pants, long-sleeve cotton shirt, welding gauntlets and a full face
shield at a minimum. I like using a welding leather apron and a
welding cape as well. There's nothing like getting spatter down
low-top canvas shoes to brighten up your day.