Speedy Jim

blueman wrote:

We are about to add some additional cabinest to our kitchen.
This will require cutting off the upper 1/3 of the top row of tiles?

What is the best way to do this?
1. Cut the tiles in-place on the wall? If so, what is the right tool &
technique to get a straight clean cut without breakage or chipping.

2. Remove the tiles and then cut? If so, what is the best way to
remove the tiles without breaking? (I am not sure how they are
mounted, but the kitchen was redone about 4 years ago by the
previous homeowner and the tiles are 4x4 inch mounted vertically on
the wall).

Basically, in my mind I am trying to figure out which is more of a
risk: sloppy cut in-place vs. breaking tiles when removing them?

Thanks,
Jeff

If there are a lot of them to cut, one way is to
use a circ saw with a masonry (abrasive or diamond)
blade. You can mount a wooden guide strip to keep
the cut straight.

There will be a lot of dust to consider.
Use a shop vac positioned right at the blade
and cover everything you can with tarp, etc.
Turn OFF the heating system.
Wear mask and goggles no matter what method
you decide upon.

Jim