John Rumm

Dundonald wrote:

The lights have a small length of the same twin/flatish cable that
would normally connect to the said 15 ring that came with the lights,
but I want instead to connect this to the twin and earth.

These lights often have Insulation Piercing Connectors that are designed
to work with the figure eight cable that you have. Hence you may need to
make connection to each light using an offcut of the supplied cable. You
can feed this from anything you like.

For making waterproof joins in low voltage cables I tend to favour
joining the wires with either insulated crimps, or solder and a layer of
heatshrink over the wire, followed by a wider heatshrink right over the
whole join. If you use glued heat shrink, or slice some strips off a
hotmelt gluestick and stick them into the heatshrink before you shrink
it, you will end up with a waterproof jacket over the join.

--
Cheers,

John.