Ken Moon

"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
Ken Moon wrote:
SNIP .....
============================
Arch,
I attached a length of 1/4 inch M4 HSS to the top of my toolrest. Brazed
at end points, then filleted the area in center with steel reenforced
epoxy. Slick and durable. Some loss of hardness was probably incurred at
the ends, but not noticeable in use ... so far.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

And when (or if) that wears out, you can just reposition the shaft another
120 degrees for a new edge, 2 more times.
BTW, where can you get HSS shaft in lengths over 6"?

Ken Grunke

========================
Ken,
I got mine from:

Cenco Grinding Corp.
411 Business Park Lane
Allentown, PA. 18103

Phone 610-434-5740

Web Site www.cencogrindding.com

They have stock lengths up to 36 inches in M2 and M42 (sort of an enhanced
M4) in diameters from 1/16 to 1 inch in 1 inch.
(an example from my 5 yr old price sheet; a 1/4 inch X 36 inches M2,
annealed $8.40, hardened and ground, plus/ minus .001", $22.40.) They also
have "semi finished" (hardened, unground) for lower prices. If you're doing
short bits like for an oland tool, a 24 or 36 inch piece will last a LOOOONG
time. :-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX