" I guess it is cheaper. I don't know, I never looked at how they were
made.
Of course, one handle is better than two, but there is no reason to
have
both sides on the same plane. Check yours further and it may work that
way. "

The reason they have to have both sides even is because they have 3
spray arms. The 3rd one is on the bottom of the upper tray and it has
a water supply pipe that fits into a receptacle in the back of the
dishwasher. There are two mating holes in the back, when the rack
slides in, it plugs the pipe for the spray arm into either the upper or
the lower second hole depending on whether it's in the full up or down
position. If it's half and half, it's not going to mate up with either
hole. If you don't have 3 arms, then that problem doesn't exist.

Another idea, the permanent half and half kind of solution, seemed to
be in a lot of one manufacturer's line, think it was whirlpool. They
didn't have an adjustable upper rack, just a permanent one that was a
lot deeper on one side than the other.