Joseph Meehan

Steve IA wrote:
Ray wrote:

I planning on installing a light at each corner of a metal building
in my backyard. I would like the lights to come on at dusk and turn
off at daylight.

Why? So the theives won't trip over the watch dog and sue you?
Security lights offer little security and only serve to point out a
spot where something valuable is kept. Unless you're up all night
watching, you'll never see an intruder.
Besides, lights at night can bother the neighbors. Maybe you live
isolated and that's not a problem, but the light may shine in your
bedroom window as well. That could be good as it would keep you up so
you can watch for the invaders. If you must, use motion sensor lights
that don't shine all night. Please research and think about what you
are about to do.
My 2¢ worth.

Steve
southiowa

Actually all the studies I have seen (OK so the studies I have seen are
30+ years old) indicate that security lights do reduce problems in the area
they light. They also show they increase problems in close by un-lit
areas.

Do you have any newer studies you could share showing otherwise?

I always liked my father's (the locksmith) advice. Thieves are lazy.
Just make your home look harder and less productive, than the house next
door.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math