Ray

Default Security Lights

I planning on installing a light at each corner of a metal building in my
backyard. I would like the lights to come on at dusk and turn off at
daylight.

I know that there are light fixtures with photo sensors that will take care
of this. But I was wondering if it would be better to put them on a timer.

If I recall correctly the photo sensors can be overridden at the switch in
the event one would want to turn them on before it's time.

Will a circuit with a timer in it allow me to overide and turn on the lights
before it's time ??

If the timer route is an option, what type of timers are recommended ??

Thanks...

RBM

There are any number of ways to do this. One, I like is to control the
lights through both a photocell and a commercial time clock like Intermatic
T101.
With the two controls in series, you can have the lights come on at dusk and
off at a time of your choice
"Ray" wrote in message
I planning on installing a light at each corner of a metal building in my
backyard. I would like the lights to come on at dusk and turn off at
daylight.

I know that there are light fixtures with photo sensors that will take
care
of this. But I was wondering if it would be better to put them on a timer.

If I recall correctly the photo sensors can be overridden at the switch in
the event one would want to turn them on before it's time.

Will a circuit with a timer in it allow me to overide and turn on the
lights
before it's time ??

If the timer route is an option, what type of timers are recommended ??

Thanks...

mwlogs

I'd go with the sensor over the timer. With a timer, if you live in a area
that observes daylight savings, you will be needing to adjust the timer at
least twice a year, even more often as you 'follow the sunset' throughout
the year. You'll also have to reset it if power is off.

I took the sensor approach for my coach lights on my garage. I purchased a
sensor such as would go in a post lamp and mounted it in an exterior box up
under the eaves. At Lowes they sell a plate that is intended for use with
mounting a spot light (you buy the fixture separate from the plate). The
hole was just right for the sensor.

As for overriding it, I do have a switch to be able to turn the lights OFF
if I don't want them on, but I can't think of when I've ever wished they
were ON earlier or later than the sensor provides.

That said, one thought I'd had was to use a standard 3-way switch in a
somewhat unconventional manner.
Feed the 'hot' onto one screw. Then connect the sensor lead to one of the
others. Finally, using a 'jumper' from the 3rd screw that would 'jump' past
the connector and connect to the lead to the lamps. In this manner, when
the switch is toggled one way the current would flow thru the sensor and
bypass the jumper. Toggle the switch the other way and the current would
flow thru the jumper and bypass the sensor.

Hard to explain in words, but I think you can figure it out if you try
drawing it first.

Mark

"Ray" wrote in message
I planning on installing a light at each corner of a metal building in my
backyard. I would like the lights to come on at dusk and turn off at
daylight.

I know that there are light fixtures with photo sensors that will take
care
of this. But I was wondering if it would be better to put them on a timer.

If I recall correctly the photo sensors can be overridden at the switch in
the event one would want to turn them on before it's time.

Will a circuit with a timer in it allow me to overide and turn on the
lights
before it's time ??

If the timer route is an option, what type of timers are recommended ??

Thanks...

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ray" wrote in message
I planning on installing a light at each corner of a metal building in my
backyard. I would like the lights to come on at dusk and turn off at
daylight.

I know that there are light fixtures with photo sensors that will take
care
of this. But I was wondering if it would be better to put them on a timer.

If I recall correctly the photo sensors can be overridden at the switch in
the event one would want to turn them on before it's time.

Will a circuit with a timer in it allow me to overide and turn on the
lights
before it's time ??

If the timer route is an option, what type of timers are recommended ??

You can do both. That way you can have them come on at dusk, go off at a
preset time. Timers can be over ridden also.

If a timer is a better option, for your needs, consider the X-10 system.
That way the lights can be controlled from many points in the house if you'd
like. I have a switch on my night stand so if I hear noises, I just push a
button and lights come on. Check out www.smarthome.com for options.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Beachcomber

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 03:04:04 GMT, "mwlogs"
wrote:

I'd go with the sensor over the timer. With a timer, if you live in a area
that observes daylight savings, you will be needing to adjust the timer at
least twice a year, even more often as you 'follow the sunset' throughout
the year. You'll also have to reset it if power is off.

Leviton makes a Decora switch Timer with an Astronomic Feature (Lights
ON at Sunset). Set it once and forget it. Manual overide controls
at the switchplate.

I have an earlier version of this and I love it. It does the job
every day and almost never needs attention. Outdoor photocells will
also work but sometimes have issues (stray lights, bugs, dirt, more
complicated circuit to overide, etc.)

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_t...03#description

Beachcomber

Steve IA

Ray wrote:

I planning on installing a light at each corner of a metal building in my
backyard. I would like the lights to come on at dusk and turn off at
daylight.

Why? So the theives won't trip over the watch dog and sue you? Security
lights offer little security and only serve to point out a spot where
something valuable is kept. Unless you're up all night watching, you'll
never see an intruder.
Besides, lights at night can bother the neighbors. Maybe you live isolated
and that's not a problem, but the light may shine in your bedroom window as
well. That could be good as it would keep you up so you can watch for the
invaders. If you must, use motion sensor lights that don't shine all night.
Please research and think about what you are about to do.
My 2¢ worth.

Steve
southiowa
Joseph Meehan

Ray wrote:
I planning on installing a light at each corner of a metal building
in my backyard. I would like the lights to come on at dusk and turn
off at daylight.

I know that there are light fixtures with photo sensors that will
take care of this. But I was wondering if it would be better to put
them on a timer.

If I recall correctly the photo sensors can be overridden at the
switch in the event one would want to turn them on before it's time.

Will a circuit with a timer in it allow me to overide and turn on the
lights before it's time ??

If the timer route is an option, what type of timers are recommended
??

Thanks...

You want the lights to come on and turn off when it gets dark and light.
That changes all year long. Sensors take care of that for you, they also
adjust for cloudy days. This is a job for the sensors. I would suggest
wiring them so one sensor can handle both lights. You may want to
experiment to see which location would be best for the sensor.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I have the type that come on at dusk at 1/4 power. Then if motion is
detected, they go to full brightness. You can set the 1/4 power time
period from 2/4/6 hours and also adjust the amount of full brightness
time from like 2-15 mins. I think these are a great solution, as they
save a lot on energy. They are 150W per lamp.

Harry K

Steve IA wrote:
Ray wrote:

[...]

My 2=A2 worth.

Steve
southiowa

Exactly! It's almost as if people are afraid of the dark. In the
urban area those lights **** off the neighbors. In rural areas they
are a beacon to the thieves and light up their work area nicely. The
answer is motion sensors, at least there is a chance that by coming on
they will scare off the lowlifes.

Harry K

Joseph Meehan

Steve IA wrote:
Ray wrote:

[...]

Actually all the studies I have seen (OK so the studies I have seen are
30+ years old) indicate that security lights do reduce problems in the area
they light. They also show they increase problems in close by un-lit
areas.

Do you have any newer studies you could share showing otherwise?

I always liked my father's (the locksmith) advice. Thieves are lazy.
Just make your home look harder and less productive, than the house next
door.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

SteveB

"Ray" wrote in message
I planning on installing a light at each corner of a metal building in my
backyard. I would like the lights to come on at dusk and turn off at
daylight.

I know that there are light fixtures with photo sensors that will take
care
of this. But I was wondering if it would be better to put them on a timer.

If I recall correctly the photo sensors can be overridden at the switch in
the event one would want to turn them on before it's time.

Will a circuit with a timer in it allow me to overide and turn on the
lights
before it's time ??

If the timer route is an option, what type of timers are recommended ??

Thanks...

I would recommend the motion sensors. Having a light on from dusk to dawn
is having it on about twelve hours a day over the course of a year.
Multiply that by the wattage, and you equal $$$. With motion sensors, the
light only comes on when needed, and if someone comes in, the lights come on
to simulate someone turning on the lights.

I used to have dusk to dawn lighting, but then realized I was just lighting
up the neighborhood and promoting promiscuity among the pussycats. Now,
when the lights come on, I know there's something to go look at.

You don't need to have the lights on all night unless you are afraid of the
dark. In that case, go with the 6,000 watt halogens.

Steve

Euro-Meridian home security system MM UK diy 7 March 1st 05 11:07 PM
Installing security lights in eaves [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 7th 05 09:49 PM
PIR security lights too sensitive JM UK diy 9 December 21st 04 10:38 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Bathroom lights - what's allowed/required? [email protected] UK diy 16 October 15th 03 11:26 PM